Wednesday 5 November 2014

The Prodigal Son (Movie Review)

Hey everyone! I watched this movie yesterday, and first off, I want to say that I got it at a bargain! $1.50!!! Amazing!!! So anyway, this is a 1981 Hong Kong martial arts film written and directed by Sammo Hung starring Yuen Biao as Leung Chang, the main protagonist who has a wealthy family. He was taught martial arts, and fought against numerous guys and won each time, until he faces a girl (later revealed to be a guy) who is in a opera troupe. Leung later finds out that he wasn't taught real martial arts due to the fact that his father didn't want him to be hurt, that's why he won all those previous fights until now.

Overall the film has a different feel to your usual Hong Kong martial arts film, obviously film techniques was limited during that time, but the overall plot is quite different to your usual films these days. It wasn't until maybe half way through the film did I figure out what the plot was actually supposed to be about, though I like how we see Leung learn martial arts, and we as viewers learn some moves at the same time too. Though the film got good reviews and won awards in the past, compared to films now, I fill a bit so-so about this film, it's not good or bad, I feel like it's just a film that passes, though most Hong Kong films during this time were sort of similar so I'm not complaining.

Of course martial arts films have lots of action in it, and this film sure has action. The type of fighting is bloody action, so you see lots of blood. What was new to me was fighting with Chinese Opera characters, they used make-up in one scene which was funny, and also there was a scene in which they fight in a burning building so these are two pretty new types of fighting scenes I have never seen before which is cool.

Yea anyway, overall I'd rate this film a 7/10. I bought a few other martial arts films at a bargain too, so can't wait to watch them! The cheapest was 50 cents!!

No comments:

Post a Comment