Saturday 18 October 2014

The Happening (2008 Movie Review)

Hey everyone, today I'll be reviewing The Happening (2008 film) written, co-produced, and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. This movie is a supernatural thriller film, and is also considered apocalyptic too. So basically all over America, people are killing themselves due to an air-born toxin. The film follows a husband, wife, friend and daughter.

Well there's not much to say about this film. It got bad reviews but I still wanted to buy it and watch it. Remember the other apocalyptic films I watched, well I think those were worse than this one. My thoughts are that it's not actually as bad as what I thought when I looked at the reviews. The film starts off really great, we see people kill themselves, but we do not know why initially, and actually this is the first movie I have seen which covers this sort of topic, most of the others are related to zombies or aliens or something so this makes the story-line interesting.

If you're looking for really gruesome scenes then this isn't the film for you. I think if you prefer more story-line/ plot then this is the film for you! Closer to the end of the film, I sort of wonder what's actually going to happen. We think that everyone's basically died and a few people are left, but the film fast forwards 3 months later, and everyone seems to be fine, at least the people who are still alive anyway as we later find out that it only happened to a specific part of America.

I think  lot of films need a resolution for it to be a "good" film, at least this applies to a lot of good films, though I'm not saying that it applies to all, but this film doesn't actually have an ending, in fact they could make part 2 if they wanted, I won't say what happens at the end, but they made a cliffhanger for sure!

I feel like if the main protagonists actually solved the mystery and developed a cure or something, then it would have received better reviews, and also maybe if they added in a few more gruesome scenes, that's at least what I think anyway.

But overall, I don't know about anyone else, but I quite enjoyed the film actually. I've seen worse films in my life. In fact I think this film would rank better than Cloverfield for me, not quite sure about you guys though. Possibly characters may be less developed in this film, aiding to the low rating. I'd have to give this film a 6/10.

Actually, I'm watching the deleted scenes now, and there's more gruesome scenes, so yea haha. Well that's the end of this review. I actually bought 9 movies from this one person on Trademe and one which I thought was a sequel to a movie I really wanted to watch, but turns out that it was the second sequel so uh-oh haha. Doesn't matter really, anyway talk to you all later, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment