Thursday 21 August 2014

Annoyed with Dragon Ball Z Cropping!!

Today there will be no review or anything as I need to do some study, and I have an exam today, but while I'm studying at the moment, I am watching Dragon Ball Z and have realised that (At least I am certain) that even Kai is cropped. This means that even Kai has missing bits throughout the show. This means that we are losing images from the four sides of the picture, though because I haven't closely analysed this, I am very annoyed with whoever has tried to digitally remaster this series. I believe that there won't be a true remastered copy, until they stop cropping the show! I saw a picture online anyway, comparing the Kai versions of the show from the Japanese and English DVD and Blu-Ray versions and all vary in either colour or cropping. Maybe one has brighter colours, maybe one is cropped on the sides, or the other is cropped on the top and bottom, maybe a picture is more fuzzy than the other, all in all, I believe that a show should be consistent throughout. I have never seen a show quite like Dragonball Z before, so much that a show has been altered in a way that it has annoyed me. I believe that I am a purist and like things kept to how they were. I don't mind colour tweaking or noise or dust removal, as long as the original still stays original. But I think what's just annoying me is that they can't get the original 4:3 footage on the screen, and need to crop either the top or sides. I just hope I'm wrong with Kai though, and they've fixed it for the Blu-Rays, but I think I saw that it's still 16:9, but they've moved the frame lower or higher depending on where the persons mouth was or something so the cropping is less noticeable, but really, was the cropping necessary for any of it? The show was made to view in 4:3 in a particular frame shot so it shouldn't be changed at all.

That's just my rant for today! I hope they release an uncropped version to NZ soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment