Tuesday 5 August 2014

North by Northwest (Movie Review)

Hello everybody. Today I will be reviewing the 1959 film "North by Northwest", directed by Alfred Hitchcock. This film is an American spy/ thriller film featuring the main protagonist Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) who is mistaken as a spy who is kidnapped at the beginning of the film and escapes a staged car accident.

Once again I won't spill the beans too much but I do have to say that this was a very well planned film. I don't think that I have seen anything like it before. It is definitely not like your typical James Bond type spy film but doesn't shy around the suspense Hitchcock brings to the film. My favourite bit was when Thornhill throws a set of matches with a secret message inside to an ally(won't mention their name) as one of the baddies sees the match set but just chucks it on the table >< bahaha.

When you think you have things all sussed out, the film turns and the plot changes.  Somehow they make it to MT Rushmore. I wonder how they filmed those close up scenes so well!  Just like some of the previous Hitchcock films, the killing scenes are a bit funny to watch to the 21st century generation but they're fantastically done! No blood required!

I actually watched this on Saturday on blu-ray, $13 at mightyape! As it was the remastered version I'd like to quickly say something  about it.

So the movie is crystal clear(not literally) but it was really well done. At least I didn't notice any dust marks or rips in the film. It's unbelievable that it's such an old film when you see it! This edition came with a few special features (which I didn't watch) plus I don't know what the previous versions had but I'd say that this version is quite worth the money.

I'd have to give the film a 9/10. I was really tired when I watched the film but I kept my eyes on the film the whole time and ended up getting really into it! It's really different to your usual films wich makes it so great! Mistaken identity, suspense & plot turns pretty much sums up the film. Not to mention a few funny bits(but I won't ruin it, I've already revealed too much).

Also don't think that just because the film is past 50 that it's boring, because it's not. It may be different to your 21st century films but it's definitely one which you need to see at least once in your lifetime!

Anyway, that's the end of the review. I need to watch the next Legend of Korra episode. When I watch that I'll do a review on it. Until then bye!

Alfred Hitchcock - North by Northwest | Trailer (English)
Uploaded by Alfred Hitchcock TV, 25/06/12

No comments:

Post a Comment