Wednesday 20 August 2014

Tekken 1 (Game Review)

Today I will be reviewing the Tekken 1 Game which I bought maybe 2 months ago. I didn't grow up playing this game so I don't have any views from back then, plus I wasn't even born when it was first released!! I'm a huge Tekken fan, and first played back in around 2005, the game was Tekken Tag Tournament, but I will not be talking about that game today. Tekken 1 was included in the arcade mode of Tekken 5, and I did have a play around when I first got the game in 2006. All I can say is that it was hard and frustrating!

So Tekken 1, this was the first game in the series. First released for the PS1, and can now be downloaded from the PSN. Before playing for the first time I actually had a few ideas in mind on what would actually be in the console version of the game, but was a bit disappointed when I realised that there was only arcade and vs mode which is basically the same as the one on arcade mode on Tekken 5.

I actually have no idea how people managed to play this game. The first time I played this on easy mode, I had to switch characters 4-6 times at the minimum before finishing arcade mode and watching the movie. The secret is to just do the jump kick!!! Works almost every time(for Tekken 2 too!). 

After going through Arcade mode a few times, I started wondering why the other characters wern't unlocking. Turns out that you need to unlock Heihachi first, and to do that you need to be able to complete the game in under 5 minutes and 30 seconds, and you must do that without any continues! Though I can't confirm that you need to do both things as many sites differ to what you actually need to do. But either way, it's pretty impossible.

In terms of how the characters move, they jump too high(which is later fixed in Tekken 3), and the characters move too slow, and take a long time to get up. Nina needs to take two steps before doing her arm chop move(which is one of my favourites). Almost all characters have very limited combo moves, with a lot of just arm punches and kicking.

I have to say though, for a game created over 20 years ago, the people who created the game did pretty well considering. I can see why it got such great reviews back then, but now if you released a game like that, it'd probably get a 0 or 1 out of 10 so I can't give this game a score as I've been influenced by the 21st century!


No comments:

Post a Comment