Wednesday 27 August 2014

Cloverfield(Film Review)

So today I decided to watch Cloverfield. This movie is a science fiction, found footage, monster film directed by Matt Reeves. There's only a few things that I can say about this film. For one thing, it makes me sick, this is because it uses a handheld technique through the whole film which can make people like me motion sick. I think for one thing they could have not incorporated the found footage genre, I do not believe that it is a very good genre to be producing films in, unless the camera is more stabilized. There were reports of people throwing up while watching this film, so if a film is driving people out of their seats, then I don't think it's very good. But I have to say this this is the very first film that has made me feel sick, very interesting actually.

In terms of storyline, basically a group are having a (wedding??) party, and all of a sudden there's a big shock which is suspected to be an earthquake, then later it is found that some monster is tearing out the place. So everyone is running for their lives as a massive panic breaks loose. It's hard for me not to compare this to the film "The Darkest Hour" which is sort of similar in which "aliens" are attacking the humans, and a group of people are trying to survive. What's different is that the time scale is different, as in Cloverfield, the whole event takes place within hours, and also it uses the hand held style camera shots.

If I wasn't listening to this movie half of the time to stop myself throwing up, I think I would have enjoyed the film more. I can say that not much interesting happens, except the group of people are trying to rescue this girl who is in a building who is related to one of the guys in the group, so in a way, they are more fearless, and are able to fight off some spider looking mosters. The girls are also a lot tougher and some appear to have the final girl trope.

I'm actually a bit uncertain of the ending, and whether some of the characters actually survived or not, I don't think it was very clear. All in all, I have to give this film a 3. The cover and back pictures are quite misleading as they don't suggest a found footage genre at all, but a more disaster/ horror type film like 2012?? Not quite sure, but I think also the characters arn't very developed in this film, which made a lot of things a let down. That is all for now, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment