Tuesday 19 August 2014

Dragon Ball Z Kai Limited Edition Complete Collection (Box Set Review)

This is a quick review on the Dragon Ball Z Kai Limited Edition Complete Collection Box Set(Region B released by Madman). In this review I will not be reviewing the anime itself, just the contents. I bought this particular set from Mightyape, Link Here!

So what is included in the Box Set? It includes a box containing four cases with 4 discs in each. And that's it. I actually expected more for a box set being Limited Edition, but I guess it's the box that makes it Limited Edition? The covers for each of the cases seem to be different to the separate collections released by Madman anyway.

If you know me you'd know that I bought the full set of Dragon Ball. The only thing I was missing was Kai, and Dragon ball on Blu-Ray. What I wanted was more HD(1080p) and also better aspect ratio as the remastered versions are all Wide screen, but the frames are cropped at the top and bottom, causing lost images(lots of chopped heads etc) which is actually really distracting, I have no idea what they were thinking there! I'm very happy to say that the whole set is in full screen box form, meaning that nothing is chopped off, including the top and bottom, so that is a definite positive from this! Also the colours are tweaked a bit so that the series looks like it was made in the 21st century, rather than the 20th.

The set includes both English and Japanese audio, perfect for anyone as they also include English subs!
Also if you didn't know what Kai is, it's basically the Dragon Ball Z series, but minus some story-lines and episodes, making it finish much faster. I think Kai is more based on the manga run, that's the reason for all the edits, but some scenes are added in which have not aired on Z before. I'm watching Dragon Ball Z right now and the battles last for basically the whole season, which I think takes too long so Kai will interest me definitely!

But if you've already bought the whole Kai series or are thinking of buying this collection, you might want to give it a think. If you don't have the Kai collection or Dragon Ball Z, then maybe consider watching Dragon Ball Z first before Kai as Kai is missing stuff out from the original anime. Should you have already bought the Kai collection, then you shouldn't need to buy this set unless you're an absolute fan/collector and want to collect the box and art as I don't see any differences with the separate collections. If you prefer watching newer anime titles and don't really like watching older ones then Kai is for you as it has a newer 21th century look.

So all in all, I think this is a really good collection, I myself can't wait to watch this, even though I'm still stuck on Season 3 of Dragon Ball Z. Until next time, bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment