Wednesday 6 August 2014

The Darkest Hour (Movie Review)

Hello everybody! Today I will be reviewing the 2011 science fiction thriller film "The Darkest Hour" which was directed by Chris Gorak and produced by Timur Bekmambetov.

My first thoughts before watching this film on Friday...
Aliens attack and cause natural disasters causing the world to end. Your usual survivor trope guy tries to save the day by using guns. That sort of stuff. But I don't think I was close at all. Let's review!

So it turns out that the aliens are invisible and when close to electricals, will turn them on(after power cuts). The attack humans by grabbing them and eating them?? Well humans turn into nothingness as soon as they have their clutches on them. There are actually only around 4-5 main characters, while there's a couple of secondary characters, most are just extras. They try and survive first by hiding in a basement?? Before running low on food and try and go to the US embassy. One at a time, a character is killed off by the aliens, leaving only a selection of characters left.

After watching maybe 30 mins of this film, I did realise that the film seemed a bit budget. Not that there were any bad special effects or anything but it did have that feeling. I think the plot was a real let down. Almost none of the characters really developed. I feel like some of the characters there were just to kill off in the film, so when they get killed, you don't really feel that emotion you feel when a character is developed and killed. Also I hate films where basically they run and hide, that's what they basically do in this film. There is only brief action at the end of the film where the characters are basically forced to attack, otherwise they die. Not like others where they decide to take action before they're killed off.

I'd have to give this film a 4/10. It's not a bad film but basically needed some tweaks with the plot and character developments. I think for this kind of film, more action sequences could have been placed in which could have saved the film overall.


The Darkest Hour Trailer Official (HD)
Video Uploaded By Clevver Movies, 5/8/11

What shall I review next? If there's something specific you want me to review, feel free to message me :) Until next time, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment